Saturday, June 12, 2010

Redemption

Yesterday was a special day at the dog show.  For one, I didn’t have to do anything but sit on my butt and watch and appreciate.  The owner of Stanley’s sire was the judge, which means it would appear improper for me to show to her, so I got to just relax and enjoy.

I got to hang out with good friends and great dogs.  Like my dear friend Beth, who co-owns Max and bred Stanley, here with Stan’s baby sister Grace

007

And I got to cry my eyes out with joy at one of the big wins of the day.  Buster is a beardie I’ve loved since he was a young puppy – at the time our household wasn’t ready for me to have a 2nd beardie though I wanted this sweet boy!  Buster’s owner fell severely ill a few years ago and he came back to his breeder last year in quite terrible shape.  Lots of time and food and love have brought him back into condition, and yesterday – handled by another of his fans, my friend Shannon - he finished his championship with a 5-point major at a breed specialty, which is quite an accomplishment. 

I love this boy so very much – he is the epitome of a good beardie.  Unfailingly sweet, smart and eager to please.  And as a younger brother to Max, he too is the spitting image of their father Chauncey.

067

Today I went down to the San Jose Sprint Triathlon to get my open water swim done – if they’re all there warming up in the water, what’s one more swimmer, right?  That’s us - my friend and my aunt (who actually WAS racing) and me - out there with our hands up in the air.  Gotta love wetsuits.

30203_1494073873283_1277141266_1360232_95660_n

After all my complaining about the weather, it seems Mother Nature has finally seen fit to let summer arrive. High 80s today and over 90 tomorrow.  Not only am I glad I got all that solid heat training in the Midwest (though thank goodness we have NO humidity), I am glad we start early in the morning so I can be done before it hits 80.  This should be a fun race on “home turf” – I did my 1st ever triathlon 3 yrs ago in this lake (the sprint that took place today), I ride the bike course often, and the run course goes within 1/2 mile of my parents’ house – and I’m hopeful that those factors pay off in terms of familiarity with the course and hills and such.

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend! 

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Awww... Buster! What a beautiful dog... and a nice comeback story.

Can't wait to read about your story from today. Get those fingers typing after your ice bath. :-)

Wes said...

That's a great story about Buster! I love it when good things happen to good animals :-)