Saturday, January 25, 2014

Something Old, Something New

Going into a new season of racing and a new year of life, there are always new things to try and changes to be made, as well as things that should remain untouched!  A few of these things that have been on my mind...

The ELF - Some people seem to change coaches as often as they change underpants - I'm not one of them.  Why mess with success and what works?  5 years of setting PRs and developing as an athlete and she still surprises me with new and inventive ways to push myself and suffer and improve.

Osmo - As a physiologist in training, I've read the research and the argument for gender-specific fueling/recovery made by Stacy Sims is beyond compelling.  As an athlete, the data resonates quite strongly with my own experiences training and racing.  So I'm quite excited to try Osmo nutrition products this year and see how it goes!

Home Sweet Home - With any luck, we should be in our very own house in Colorado in a couple more months.  I'll get to pack up my stuff and move - yet again - but I will finally be living with my husband and Puck again too!

Races - Given that I live in a new state 1000 miles away from my hometown, it's no surprise that every one of my races this year is brand-spanking-new to me.  New people to race against, new courses to tackle, lots of fresh territory to explore!  (The only thing I've come close to having familiarity with is SOMA, where I once raced the old Quarterman as one of my very first triathlons)

Time Management - It's old news that I'm chronically over scheduled.  With a full-time lab job plus classes and teaching AND triathlon training AND dogs, I'm getting plenty of practice putting my time management skills to work.  I find I'm doing more of my training in the evenings after I get home and walk the dogs (I was always a morning-only exerciser!) - in particular, it's been nice to swim around 8pm when the pool is empty and then drink a recovery smoothie and sleep like the dead!

Soaking It All In - I live in one of the most beautiful places around and I can't let that go unappreciated!  In the past I've been challenged in terms of taking the time to relax (possibly a chronic problem with Type A triathletes) but it's critical when I spend most of my time working so hard at school.  One of the ways I'm trying to balance all of my commitments is by leaving weekends open and not entering a lot of dog events (at least for now, when we barely find any time to train) - it gives me an opportunity to catch up and recharge and do spontaneous fun things.  Last weekend I visited Lyons with the dogs (twice) and went to Rocky Mountain National Park and Estes Park for the first time.  I try to plan at least one fun hike and outing for the dogs every weekend, after all of my training is done.



2014 is looking pretty special so far!

7 comments:

Tea said...

DUDE it's like you totally read my mind!
I know those people who jump from coach to coach too. They always wonder why it isn't working. OF course MY situation was totally different. ;)

I am really excited about your upcoming year. races, moving, it's going to be fun. Hopefully, once I get this kid graduated, we'll be able to plan some weekend excursions.

GoBigGreen said...

Ya the coach shopping thing is interesting, I have a lot to say about that but will refrain. As for Osmo I get confused by the pre hydration stuff but will look for advice from you!

GoBigGreen said...

Ya the coach hopping season. I will refrain from my true comments on that, and yes it takes time and trust to reach goals. I'm glad you love Liz!
I like Osmo but get confused by the prehydrztion, maybe it's winter in the Polar Vortex but pre hydration? I don't get it and maybe I can learn from you!

Maggs said...

Laughing at Julia's comment "coach hopping season". I guess I don't pay too much attention, but then there are those who feel they need to make a HUGE announcement who they hired to coach them (not talking about pros). That always cracks me up.

Christi said...

You have many great opportunities for fun not only with races but sight seeing in Colorado!

I hope you have a fantastic year!

Kristina said...

I sort of stumbled on Osmo last year and have really enjoyed it, as unscientific as that sounds.
Enjoy the semester, especially as you soak it all in!

Meredith said...

So excited for you, everyday is a brand new adventure!